2.2K views

I renovated my primary bathroom during the summer of 2010 and wanted a new bathroom window. I obtained 3 quotes from large established window and door installation companies. I went with Duraco because they were the lowest quote and because a work calleage was also having her windows and doors replaced by the same company around the same time.

During the in-home measurement, I asked both the salesperson and the fellow measuring the window (who was also the installer) pointed questions about how my new window would fit given the new bathroom tiles on the wall near the side of the window. I also showed them the actual peices of the narrow wood frame I wanted installed around the window's interior. I was concerned about the final fit because the narrower width of the frame I selected was the only width that would fit between the existing window and the tile. I was assured that I could use the frame and the tiles would not be an issue. Installation of the window included installation of the final interior frame.

When they installed the new (custom made) window, there was a 3-inch gap under the window and the gap was larger than the frame I had picked out. In other words, they told me I would have to use a different frame for my window, have different widths of frame on the sides versus the top and bottom and they would use an "offcut" mitre on the corners. (i.e. not a normal cut). I told them to remove the window and make me a new window which would fit. I just spent $10,000 on redoing my bathroom trimmed in a particular wood finish and I wasn't about to put on make-shift frames or mis-matched wood on a new custom-made window! The installer and company walked off the job, telling me it was my responsibility to fix the problem and I could hire a drywall contractor to fill the 3-inch gap in with drywall!!! Or maybe I could contract with a speciality wood shop to custom-build me some type of framing solution!

Phone calls and emails to the company were met with the same refrain - "Let us know when you come up with a solution - we are still willing to install a frame if you can find one". They also told me they weren't willing to consider any kind of discount because there was nothing wrong with the window - it could be framed and so what if I didn't like it or it looked terrible! After much searching and enquiries, I managed to find an alternate size of wood frame and alternate method of installing it called a butt join. (Straight cuts on corners instead of mitering). The company came out when I requested and attached the new wood peices according to my directions. I deducted the extra cost of the new frame materials from my final cheque. The only reason I paid them is that I was certain a company like that would take advantage of our region's laws and attach a builder's lien to my house for the unpaid remaining amount.

When I talked to my work colleague, I found out her experience with the company was an even worse nightmare. They have installed and re-installed her front door four times now and it still doesn't fit right. You can see daylight through the crack, they can't lock it and the company is once again insisting it is just fine.

If you need to install a new window or door in your house and you live in the Winnipeg area, DON'T USE DURACO. I wouldn't have minded if they made a mistake and then admitted it and fixed it - but to leave a window half-finished with winter coming on and say the customer has to fix the problem is beyond belief.

Had an Experience with Duraco Windows?

Comments

Park City, Utah, United States #650088

I'm wanting to know how much it would cost me to customize some windows for my home in Winnipeg? Is it roughly an expensive project to invest in?

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada #581828

what happened to their unconditional warranty

My experience with Duraco was quite the opposite.Despite reading the complaint above prior to purchasing our new windows and doors we decided to go with Duraco because they had been recommended by two of our neighbours both of whom had only great things to say about their experience with Duraco.

Our windows and doors arrived on time and the installers were amazing. They certainly went the extra mile. They were extremely professional, polite and very neat and took the time to review everything with us before and after the work was completed. About two months after the install one of the windows was sticking.

I have extensive construction and renovation experience and the person who complained about the trim not fitting just does not understand the limitations. The hole in the wall can only accomodate a certain size of window.

Whoever was doing the bathroom renovations should have known this.The tile could have easily been installed to fit the new window not the other way around.

#319598

I have Duraco windows in my home and have had no problems with the product or the install.The proper way to do your renovation would have been to do the window first, and then have the tile installed up to the frame.

If your contractor doing the bathroom knew the window was being changed, he likely would have made this suggestion. Having installed windows myself, I know that the installer can only work within the constraints of the home, and if the customer doesn't do their due dillegence in researching the proper order in which to have things done, there isn't much that can be done! I once had a customer order windows for a new house with a nailing flange only to arrive on site for install to find they had just had new siding installed the week before.

The windows couldn't be installed without removing or cutting the siding.Some people don't know what to do when, and if you don't tell the salespeople/contractors what your entire course of action is, they won't be able to do their job properly.